The Freeman-ASIA program provides need-based support for U.S.-based undergraduates planning to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. The program’s goal is to increase the number of U.S. citizens and permanent residents with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures, and applicants are encouraged to promote study abroad in Asia when they return to their campus. The award ranges from up to $3,000 for summer funding, up to $5,000 for a semester, and up to $7,000 for the academic year. Eligibility is limited to current undergraduates who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and display financial need.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of application.
- You must be a currently enrolled undergraduate with a minimum GPA of 2.8.
- Juniors are eligible to apply, as long as you will have one term of enrollment remaining after your return from the study abroad program.
- You must currently receive need-based financial aid or demonstrate a verifiable need for financial assistance.
- You must have little or no experience in the country in which you plan to study.
- Eligibile countries include: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- A multi-country program is eligible only if the applicant will spend at least 8 weeks in one of the countries stated above and will have intensive language study during that period.
When to apply
Students should begin the application process in early of the semester before they plan to apply.
If you are interested in applying for the Freeman-ASIA, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- After reviewing this information, if you have further questions, please make an appointment with a CUSE fellowships advisor or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you decide to move forward with the application process, you may apply online through the Freeman-ASIA online application system.
Calendar of Deadlines and Events
You might need to scroll through the calendar or select "Look for more" to see all upcoming dates.