*NEW Grant Policies and Application Requirements for 2017-2018*
- NO deadlines for academic year grant applications and recommendation letters. The deadline to submit a complete application for a summer grant is March 9, 2018.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time.
- Applications WILL NOT be reviewed until ALL required application materials and necessary approvals have been submitted to CUSE. Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all application materials and project approvals are submitted in a timely manner.
Academic Conference Presentation
A student travels to a regional, national, or international conference or symposium for the purposes of presenting the results of their faculty-mentored research. The purpose of this opportunity is to allow students to participate in professional development that will have an impact on their academic and/or career goals.
Grant Application Requirements:
- A Cover Page and Abstract.
- Complete the CUSE Grant Cover Page form and provide a 100-200 word abstract describing the proposed project or activity. The abstract should introduce your project/activity and highlight your major goals. For assistance writing an abstract, see the UW-Madison Writing Center's guide to abstracts and abstract examples.
- A Proposal (4-5 double-spaced pages) that includes:
- A Description of the Conference: what organization is holding the conference, dates & location, poster presentation or panel presentation, etc.
- A Description of the Session/Panel in which you will be presenting your research.
- A copy of the Presentation Title and Abstract that as been accepted.
- A brief Discussion of the Broader Impact that the presentation might have (i.e. what contribution does this research make to the scholarly community). You should discuss your research in the context of current research, as demonstrated by in-text citations AND a short bibliography of relevant scholarship.
- A statement of Learning Goals (i.e. how this presentation relates to and advances your academic plans, intellectual development, and professional goals).
- Any additional information or items relevant to your proposal.
- A Letter of Recommendation from a supervising Notre Dame faculty member.
- After you have submitted your proposal using the Student Grant Network (URApply), the faculty member should recieve an email with instructions for uploading their letter. Faculty will not be able to submit their letter until after the proposal has been submitted. Grant proposals will not be reviewed until we receive a faculty recommendation letter.
- An itemized Budget using the approved CUSE student budget form
- CUSE budget guidelines can be found here. The budget must be itemized and show all your calculations for figuring out each cost and a source to justify those calculations. It is the student's responsibility to develop a budget that is complete and accurate. Students must submit their budget on URApply with the student budget form. Any changes to a budget after the project is awarded, such as transfers between line items, must be pre-approved by CUSE.
- A completed domestic travel waiver if traveling within the United States. Students traveling internationally must register their travel with Notre Dame International.
- *If you are traveling to a country without a travel warning, please DO NOT complete the travel registry until you have received notification that you have received an award from CUSE (disregard the automated email that URApply sends requesting one).
- Human subjects research / IRB approval, if applicable.
- Students engaging in research involving human subjects must complete research ethics training and submit a protocol to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for approval. Students who require IRB approval to conduct research must submit a copy of the approval from Notre Dame Research. Follow the link for more information on IRB and the training and submission process.
- Academic Year: $1000
- Summer $1000