*NEW Grant Policies and Application Requirements for 2017-2018*
- NO deadlines for academic year grant applications and recommendation letters. The deadline to submit a complete application for a summer grant is March 9, 2018.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and can be submitted at any time.
- Applications WILL NOT be reviewed until ALL required application materials and necessary approvals have been submitted to CUSE. Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all application materials and project approvals are submitted in a timely manner.
Academic Service Learning
A student participates in an academically-grounded service experience that is directly connected to their academic coursework and their future intellectual trajectory. The service must be clearly in line with the students’ future goals and grounded in the scholarship surrounding the problem that the service seeks to address.
CUSE recognizes that some projects have a strong service component, but for funding purposes, the service activity itself cannot be the primary purpose of the grant proposal.
- A Proposal (4-5 double-spaced pages) that includes:
- A 100-200 word Abstract describing the proposed service learning activity. The abstract should introduce the organization, an overview of the activities in which you will participate, and highlight your major goals.
- A description of the organization that sponsers the activity (e.g., its mission, why you chose this organization, etc.).
- A discussion of the issue(s) that you are considering that may be informed by the service learning experience.
- A detailed description of activities you expect to undertake within the time frame, with start and end dates.
- A description of the learning goals for the activity.
- A discussion of how the service learning experience relates to your academic work, particularly as it relates to goals for research, scholarhip, or creative endeavor.
- A clear engagement with the scholarly literature around the social issue/problem/focus of the service learning experience, as demonstrated by in-text citations AND a short bibliography of relevent scholarship.
- Any additional information or items relevant to your proposal.
- A Letter of Recommendation from a supervising Notre Dame faculty member.
- After you have submitted your proposal using the Common Application, the faculty member should recieve an email with instructions for uploading their letter. Faculty will not be able to submit their letter until after the proposal has been submitted. Grant proposals will not be reviewed until we receive a faculty recommendation letter.
- An itemized Budget using the approved CUSE student budget form
- CUSE budget guidelines can be found here. The budget must be itemized and show all your calculations for figuring out each cost and a source to justify those calculations. It is the student's responsibility to develop a budget that is complete and accurate. Students must submit their budget on URApply with the student budget form. Any changes to a budget after the project is awarded, such as transfers between line items, must be pre-approved by CUSE.
- A completed domestic travel waiver if traveling within the United States. Students traveling internationally must register their travel with Notre Dame International.
- *If you are traveling to a country without a travel warning, please DO NOT complete the travel registry until you have received notification that you have received an award from CUSE (disregard the automated email that URApply sends requesting one).
- Human subjects / IRB approval, if applicable.
- Students engaging in research involving human subjects must complete research ethics training and submit a protocol to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for approval. Students who require IRB approval to conduct research must submit a copy of the approval from Notre Dame Research. Follow the link for more information on IRB and the training and submission process.
- Academic Year: $1500
- Summer: $3000