Up to $20,000 in funding for students interested in studying abroad in a non-traditional location and studying a language crucial to national security interests. Awardees are required to secure a position working for the government after graduation for at least one year. Eligibility is limited to current undergraduates who are U.S. citizens.
- You must be a U.S. citizen at the time of application.
- You must be a high school graduate, or have earned a GED.
- You must be matriculated in an undergraduate degree program. Boren Scholars must remain matriculated in their undergraduate programs for the duration of the scholarship and may not graduate until the scholarship is complete.
- You must be applying to a study abroad program that meets home institution standards in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.
When to apply
Students should begin the application process in the Fall semester.
If you are interested in applying for the Boren Scholarship, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- After reviewing this information, if you have further questions, please make an appointment with a CUSE fellowships advisor or contact us at email@example.com.
- If you decide to move forward with the application process, please complete the Pre-Application (Google Form) and submit a resume as an attachment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We suggest that you compose your Pre-Application responses offline and then copy and paste them into the Pre-Application. (Download a PDF Version of the Pre-Application for your reference.)
- Within one week of the Pre-Application Deadline, we will follow up with you. If you have not heard from CUSE within one week of the Pre-Application Deadline, please contact us at email@example.com.
Calendar of Deadlines and Events
You might need to scroll through the calendar or select "Look for more" to see all upcoming dates.