Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program aims to increase mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries through exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. There are two major types of Fulbright for U.S. students:

English Teaching Assistantship (ETA): An ETA places a Fulbrighter in a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants do this while serving as cultural ambassadors for the U.S. The age and academic level of classroom students varies by country, ranging from kindergarten to university. While many placements do not require previous teaching experience, applicants with a professional interest in English language instruction are encouraged to investigate the Center for the Study of Language and Culture's TESOL Minor Program.

Study/Research Grants: The study/research grant category includes projects in both academic and arts fields. The study/research grants are available in approximately 140 countries. Applicants for these grants design their own projects and will typically work with advisers at foreign universities, research institutes, or NGOs. Program requirements vary by country.

Eligibility is limited to seniors and recent alumni who are U.S. citizens.

See http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/types-of-grants for additional types of Fulbright Student awards.


First, note that you can apply from abroad.

Second, note that current juniors, seniors, and alumni are eligible to begin the application process through CUSE.

Now, to be eligible to apply for the Fulbright, applicants must:

  1. Be U.S. citizens at the time of application.
  2. Have a conferred bachelor's degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant (not by the time of application).
  3. Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate from a physician.
  4. Have sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country to carry out the proposed study/research/teaching. The importance of this criterion varies from country to country; some countries require no language proficiency at all.

Link to Official Website

When to apply

Applicants should begin the process in the Spring before they wish to apply, which means that seniors should begin the process in Spring of junior year.

Next steps

  1. Note that only ND undergraduates and undergraduate alumni apply through CUSE. If you are a graduate student or graduate alumni interested in the Fulbright, please contact the Graduate School's Office of Grants and Fellowships.
  2. Submit the Pre-Application. Current ND juniors, seniors, or undergraduate alumni should submit a preapplication now. 
  3. Once you have submitted your Pre-Application, please make an appointment with a CUSE Fulbright advisor to discuss the rest of the application process.
    • Study/Research Applicants click here to make an appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Thibert.
    • English Teaching Assistantship Applicants: click here to make an appointment with Elise Rudt. If all times are taken, email erudt@nd.edu. (See the note below, however.) 
  4. Contact us if you have any questions. We're here to help!

Calendar of Deadlines and Events