The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program funds U.S. undergraduates with demonstrated financial need (receiving Pell Grants) to study or intern abroad. The program provides up to $5,000 to defray the costs of study abroad during the spring, summer, or fall. Eligibility is limited to current undergraduates who are U.S. citizens and receive Pell grants.
- All class levels are eligible. Applicants must be enrolled undergraduates at the time of application.
- You must be receiving a Federal Pell grant at the time of application or the proposed experience abroad.
- The students' proposed internship or study abroad experience must be eligible for credit by the student's university, and must be at least 28 days long.
- Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
- The applicant is studying or interning abroad in any country except those on the U.S. Department of State's current Travel Warning list.
When to apply
Students should begin the application process in early of the semester before they plan to apply.
If you are interested in applying for the Gilman Scholarship, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- Fill out this interest form to begin working with CUSE on the application.
- After filling out this form, please make an appointment with a CUSE fellowships advisor or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may apply directly through the Gilman Online Application System. No University nomination or evaluation is required.
Calendar of Deadlines and Events
You might need to scroll through the calendar or select "Look for more" to see all upcoming dates.