The Goldwater Scholarship is for outstanding Sophomores or Juniors in the STEM fields interested in pursuing research in graduate school as well as a research-based future career. Scholarships of up to $7,500 a year are provided to help cover costs associated with tuition, mandatory fees, books, room and board. A sophomore who receives a Goldwater Scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in each of his/her junior and senior years. A junior who receives a Goldwater Scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in his/her senior year. It is one of the most prestigious undergraduate STEM awards and a mark of excellence on graduate school applications. Eligibility is limited to current juniors and sophomores who are U.S. citizens.
- Current sophomore or junior, pursuing a bachelor's degree on a full-time basis.
- Have a 3.0 GPA or above
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or resident alien.
- Have a demonstrated interest in obtaining a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. leading to a research-oriented career in mathematics, computer science, the natural sciences, or engineering. Students who plan to study medicine are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
When to apply
Students should begin the application process in Fall of sophomore or junior year.
If you are interested in applying for the Goldwater Scholarship, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- If you decide to move forward with the application process, please complete Step 3 at the official Goldwater website, which includes creating a profile and completing a Pre-Application. (The Pre-Application is usually available on the first Tuesday after Labor Day).
- After the Pre-Application Deadline (see the calendar below), CUSE will follow up with you with a decision about whether or not you can move forward with the application process to be considered for nomination.
|September 6, 2022||Pre-application opens - https://apply.scholarsapply.org/barrygoldwater/|
|September 20, 2022||Deadline to complete the pre-application|
|September 27, 2022||CUSE will notify students with a decision about whether or not they can move forward with the application process|
|November 15, 2022||Campus deadline - complete application due|
|December 2022||The nomination committee with convene and select the 4 nominees|
|January 27, 2023||Official application deadline|