The Goldwater Scholarship is for outstanding Sophomores or Juniors in the STEM fields interested in pursuing graduate school. The award provides $7,500 for up to two years of undergraduate study. It is one of the most prestigious undergraduate STEM awards and a mark of excellence on graduate school applications. Eligibility is limited to juniors who are U.S. citizens. Students should begin the application process in Fall of junior year.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Current sophomore or junior, pursuing a bachelor's degree on a full-time basis.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.7.
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or resident alien.
- Have a demonstrated interest in obtaining a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. leading to a research-oriented career in mathematics, computer science, the natural sciences, or engineering. Students who plan to study medicine are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
If you are interested in applying for the Goldwater Scholarship, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- After reviewing this information, if you have further questions, please make an appointment with a CUSE fellowships advisor or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you decide to move forward with the application process, please complete Step 2 at the official Goldwater website, which includes creating a profile and completing a Pre-Application, and submit a resume as an attachment via email to email@example.com. (The Pre-Application is usually available on the first Tuesday after Labor Day.)
- Within one week of the Pre-Application Deadline (see the calendar below), we will follow up with you. If you have not heard from CUSE within one week of the Pre-Application Deadline, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calendar of Deadlines and Events
You might need to scroll through the calendar or select "Look for more" to see all upcoming dates.