The Goldwater Scholarship is for outstanding Sophomores or Juniors in the STEM fields interested in pursuing graduate school. The award provides $7,500 for up to two years of undergraduate study. It is one of the most prestigious undergraduate STEM awards and a mark of excellence on graduate school applications. Eligibility is limited to current juniors and sophomores who are U.S. citizens.
- Current sophomore or junior, pursuing a bachelor's degree on a full-time basis.
- If a sophomore: 3.9+ GPA with research experience for at least one summer and one academic semester (which can include the current one at time of application)
- If a junior: 3.85+ GPA with research experience for at least two semesters (which can include a summer but cannot include the current semester at time of application)
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or resident alien.
- Have a demonstrated interest in obtaining a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. leading to a research-oriented career in mathematics, computer science, the natural sciences, or engineering. Students who plan to study medicine are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
When to apply
Students should begin the application process in Fall of sophomore or junior year.
If you are interested in applying for the Goldwater Scholarship, please follow the steps listed below.
- Review the information on this webpage to learn more about the fellowship, determine your eligibility to apply, and review upcoming deadlines and events.
- Application is by invitation. Eligible students will receive an invitation in early September. However, if you have questions about whether you would be competitive to apply, please fill out this interest form.
- If you decide to move forward with the application process, please complete Step 2 at the official Goldwater website, which includes creating a profile and completing a Pre-Application. (The Pre-Application is usually available on the first Tuesday after Labor Day.)
- After the Pre-Application Deadline (see the calendar below), we will follow up with you. If you have not heard from CUSE within one week of the Pre-Application Deadline, please contact us at email@example.com.
Calendar of Deadlines and Events
|Mid-September 2019||Eligible students will receive email invitation from College of Science/College of Engineering|
|Late September||Pre-application deadline|
|October 7, 2019||Submit Draft 1 for feedback|
|October 14-18, 2019||Schedule a meeting with Jenny Smith|
|November 1, 2019||Submit Draft 2 for feedback|
|November 11-15, 2019||Schedule a second meeting with Jenny Smith|
|November 18, 2019||Nomination Deadline|
|January 2020||Application Deadline|