The Mitchell Scholarship supports a single year of postgraduate study at an institution of higher education in Ireland or Northern Ireland in all fields. Eligibility is limited to U.S. citizens.
Mitchell Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. citizen.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university before the Scholarship begins.
- Be at least 18 years of age, but not yet 30, by September 30 of the application year.
When to apply
Applicants should begin the process in the Spring/Summer prior to the Fall in which they plan to submit the application. If you wish to be eligible for the summer/fall advising cohort for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell Scholarship applicants, you should apply by the priority deadline listed below. Space in the advising cohort is limited. If spaces remain in the cohort after the priority endorsement process, then later applications will be considered for admission to the cohort. Once the cohort fills, you can still apply for the endorsement, but you will work individually with Dr. Thibert.
You must complete the following steps in order to apply for the University of Notre Dame endorsement for the Mitchell Scholarship. Even if you are not a current undergraduate and therefore do not require an endorsement, we still encourage you to contact us for assistance with your application. You can access the Mitchell Scholarship application directly here.
- Review the eligibility requirements on this page to ensure that you are (or will be) eligible to apply.
- Review the calendar on this page to ensure that the endorsement application deadlines have not passed.
- Review this playlist of introductory videos from the President of the US-Ireland Alliance.
- Complete the brief Declaration of Interest form and submit a resume via email to email@example.com so that you are on the CUSE contact list for this fellowship.
- Complete the Application for University Endorsement (Google Form). We suggest that you use this PDF version to compose your responses in a word processor and then copy-and-paste them into the Google Form. Please note that you only need to submit one endorsement application, even if you are applying for endorsement for Rhodes and Marshall as well.
- CUSE will contact you within a month of the deadline with your endorsement status.
At any point, feel free to contact us with questions to discuss the process in more detail.
|April 19, 2022||Priority Endorsement Application Deadline (required for eligibility to join summer/fall advising cohort)|
|May 31, 2022||Secondary Endorsement Application Deadline (required for eligibility for remaining cohort openings)|
|August 1, 2022||Final Endorsement Application Deadline (if it is after August 1, contact Dr. Thibert, director of CUSE, at firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|Late September 2022 (date TBA)||Final Application Deadline for Endorsed Applicants|