One of the oldest and most prestigious scholarships in the world, the Rhodes Scholarship supports 2-3 years of study at the University of Oxford in all fields. Requires University endorsement for U.S. citizens. International students are eligible to apply.
U.S. Rhodes Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 but not yet 24 by October 1 of the year of application. (If receiving their first Bachelor's degree on or after October 1 of the year prior to the year of application, then applicants can be at least 18 but not yet 27 by October 1 of the year of application.)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree before October 1 of the year that study at Oxford would commence.
- Hold an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.700 at the time of application. (Exceptions can be requested from the Rhodes Trust in extraordinary circumstances.)
NOTE: These three requirements apply to U.S. applicants. Eligibility requirements differ from country to country. Visit the Rhodes countries' pages for more details. Please note that there are no longer any citizenship requirements for the Rhodes Scholarship.
When to Apply
Applicants should begin the process in the Spring/Summer prior to the Fall in which they plan to submit the application. If you wish to be eligible for the summer/fall advising cohort for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell Scholarship applicants, you should apply by the priority deadline listed below. Space in the advising cohort is limited. If spaces remain in the cohort after the priority endorsement process, then later applications will be considered for admission to the cohort. Once the cohort fills, you can still apply for the endorsement, but you will work individually with Dr. Thibert.
You must complete the following steps in order to apply for the University of Notre Dame endorsement for the Rhodes Scholarship. Please note that endorsement is only required for U.S. citizens. If you are not a U.S. citizen, CUSE can still help you with your application if you complete step 3 below to let us know of your interest.
- Review the eligibility requirements on this page to ensure that you are (or will be) eligible to apply.
- Review the calendar on this page to ensure that the endorsement application deadlines have not passed.
- Review the introductory videos from the Rhodes Trust.
- Complete the brief Declaration of Interest form and submit a resume via email to email@example.com so that you are on the CUSE contact list for this fellowship. The Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell Scholarships share an interest form; you only need to complete the form once, even if you are interested in multiple scholarships.
- Complete the Application for University Endorsement (Google Form). We suggest that you use this PDF version to compose your responses in a word processor and then copy-and-paste them into the Google Form. Please note that you only need to submit one endorsement application, even if you are applying for endorsement for Marshall and Mitchell as well.
- CUSE will contact you within a month of the deadline with your endorsement status.
At any point, feel free to contact us with questions to discuss the process in more detail.
|April 20, 2021||Priority Endorsement Application Deadline (required for eligibility to join summer/fall advising cohort)|
|August 1, 2021||Final Endorsement Application Deadline (if it is after August 1, contact Dr. Thibert, director of CUSE, at firstname.lastname@example.org)|
|September 28, 2021||Final Application Deadline for Endorsed Applicants|