One of the oldest and most prestigious scholarships in the world, the Rhodes Scholarship supports 2-3 years of study at the University of Oxford in all fields. Requires University endorsement for U.S. citizens. International students are eligible to apply.
U.S. Rhodes Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 but not yet 24 by October 1 of the year of application. (If receiving their first Bachelor's degree on or after October 1 of the year prior to the year of application, then applicants can be at least 18 but not yet 27 by October 1 of the year of application.)
- Hold a bachelor’s degree before October 1 of the year that study at Oxford would commence.
- Hold an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.700 at the time of application. (Exceptions can be requested from the Rhodes Trust in extraordinary circumstances. These requests must be made by CUSE by September 15 of the application year.)
NOTE: These three requirements apply to U.S. applicants. Eligibility requirements differ from country to country. Visit the Rhodes countries' pages for more details. Please note that there are no longer any citizenship requirements for the Rhodes Scholarship.
When to Apply
Applicants should begin the process in the Spring/Summer prior to the Fall in which they plan to submit the application.
You must complete the following steps in order to apply for the University of Notre Dame endorsement for the Rhodes Scholarship. Please note that endorsement is only required for U.S. citizens. If you are not a U.S. citizen, CUSE can still help you with your application if you complete step 3 below to let us know of your interest.
- Review the eligibility requirements on this page to ensure that you are (or will be) eligible to apply.
- Review the calendar on this page to ensure that the endorsement application deadlines have not passed.
- Review the three introductory videos from the Rhodes Trust.
- Complete the brief Declaration of Interest form and submit a resume via email to email@example.com so that you are on the CUSE contact list for this fellowship. The Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell Scholarships share an interest form; you only need to complete the form once, even if you are interested in multiple scholarships.
- Complete the Application for University Endorsement (Google Form). (If you are a previous fellowships recipient or finalist, you may be eligible for automatic endorsement. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if this applies to you.) Note that the earlier you apply, the more time you'll have to work with CUSE before the final deadline. We suggest that you use this PDF version to compose your responses in a word processor and then copy-and-paste them into the Google Form. Please note that you only need to submit one endorsement application, even if you are applying for endorsement for Marshall and Mitchell as well.
- CUSE will contact you by the end of the month in which you submitted the Endorsement Application with your endorsement status and further information.
At any point, feel free to contact us with questions to discuss the process in more detail.
|May 25, 2020||Endorsement Application Deadline for notification by early June|
|June 15, 2020||Endorsement Application Deadline for notification by June 30|
|July 15, 2020||Endorsement Application Deadline for notification by July 31|
|August 18, 2020||Endorsement Application Deadline for notification by August 31|
|September 29, 2020||Final Application Deadline for Already Endorsed Applicants|