"The Yenching Academy introduces students to China’s rich history and culture, as well as its real-time development. As a prestigious college within Peking University, The Yenching Academy prepares a diverse group of international and Chinese students for tackling the most challenging issues facing the world." "Each class will consist of 120 to 150 outstanding young people from around the world, with approximately 80% from outside of China, and 20% from mainland China. Yenching Scholars will be a diverse group of talented young leaders who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, innovative thought, and a commitment to the betterment of society." The University of Notre Dame is a Partner University of the Yenching Academy, meaning that Notre Dame applicants must receive one of a limited number of nominations from the University in order to move forward in the process. Eligibility includes international students and U.S. citizens.
- Has a bachelor’s degree in any field.
- Is under the age of 25 on August 31 of the year the Academy would begin.
- Has an outstanding academic record.
- Has demonstrated leadership skills.
- Is active in extracurricular activities.
- Is actively engaged with the community and has a strong sense of social responsibility.
- Has a strong moral character.
- Has demonstrated interest in exploring diverse cultures, in particular Chinese and Asian Pacific cultures.
- Has demonstrated English proficiency