About the Program
The Sorin Scholars program is an initiative of the Flatley Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement (CUSE). The Sorin Scholars program admits 15-20 first-year students annually who are selected through a competitive application process during the spring semester. We select a cohort of students who have excelled during their first year at the University in terms of scholarly engagement (e.g., research, creative endeavors, leadership) but are not part of an existing honors or scholars program on campus. Sorin Scholars are supported during their sophomore, junior, and senior years through specialized advising, unique programming, and priority funding consideration. Chosen from all undergraduate colleges and schools, our scholars represent a wide-ranging, dynamic, and interdisciplinary group.
Benefits of the Program
CUSE supports the intellectual development and professional trajectories of our Sorin Scholars in several ways. Here are just some of the many reasons to become a Sorin Scholar.
- As a Sorin Scholar, you will receive personalized, one-on-one academic mentoring and advising from the Sorin Scholars coordinator and CUSE's fellowship and research teams. This coaching is an invaluable resource for helping you sharpen your research ideas, for locating potential funding sources, and for winning prestigious fellowships and awards.
- You will have access to our intellectually robust programming and events. This includes exclusive opportunities to meet with diverse leaders from Notre Dame's community to learn research skills, discuss cutting-edge scholarship, and use your training to help serve others in your community.
- You will receive priority funding from CUSE to help support research, creative endeavors, service-learning events, and internships.
- You will play an active role in designing campus events, such as the Sorin Scholars Annual Lecture that features one of ND's top-rated professors.
- You will join a vibrant, motivated, and interdisciplinary group of undergraduate scholars who are impactful leaders on campus and in their respective fields.
"Being a Sorin Scholar has given me numerous opportunities to learn more about the intellectual environment on campus and to meet some of Notre Dame's greatest leaders. These experiences have helped me grow and develop my research goals as well as learn about myself and how best I can serve the Notre Dame community." - Kristen Gates, Architecture '18