Starting Your Research

Undergraduate Research can take many forms and is highly dependent on your major, department, and specific research interests. 

  • Some students serve as research assistants for an individual professor, usually in their major. Students assist faculty members with their projects and duties, hours, and qualifications vary by department. For more information, speak with the Director of Undergraduate Studies or an individual professor in your department. 
  • Some students complete independent research projects which they design and carry out themselves with input from a faculty member. This is usually only undertaken after significant coursework in the field, typically after late sophomore or early junior year. For more information about designing a project, contact an individual professor in your department who you would like to serve as a faculty mentor.


How Do I Begin Research in My Department? 

How To Contact A Professor About Research