The Sorin Scholars Class of 2023 application is now available.
We are glad that you are interested in applying! To be eligible for consideration, applicants must be in their first year of studies and cannot already belong to an honors society. Additionally, applicants must be able to demonstrate exceptional academic performance, leadership potential, and active engagement within their community.
Sorin Scholar Expectations
Sorin Scholars are expected to:
- Attend meetings and earn enough points to remain active in the program.
- Apply for applicable grants and national fellowships throughout your years in the program.
- Participate in mentorship groups with other scholars.
- Actively pursue opportunities to engage with your discipline and others outside of the classroom.
- Act as an ambassador for CUSE and scholarly engagement activities at Notre Dame.
- All sophomore Sorin Scholars must register for a mandatory 1-credit hour sophomore Sorin Scholar Seminar Course, which will take place the first 8-weeks of the fall and spring semesters of sophomore year (schedule TBD).
How to Apply to the Program
Students wishing to apply for the Sorin Scholars Class of 2023 must read the application instructions document before starting the application through URApply.
- Applicants must complete and submit our program application on urapply.nd.edu. The application must be completed in Microsoft Word, saved as a PDF file, and then submitted on URApply. (Please Note: URApply will only accept PDF Files.)
- Complete applications will be due on February 21, 2020 by 11:59 PM. The application consists of general information (e.g. intended majors/minors, current GPA) and two short essay questions that ask the student to reflect on their research/intellectual interests, leadership experiences, and future goals.
- Applicants must submit along with their completed application form two letters of recommendation:
- One academic recommendation from someone at Notre Dame who has taught you and can attest to your academic potential (this can include graduate students or advisors who have instructed you in class).
- One personal recommendation from someone who can speak to your drive, integrity, leadership potential, and extracurricular engagement and/or service. Ideal letters will come from student organization leaders, rectors, or anyone from the Notre Dame community who has observed and can attest to these qualities.
- URApply will ask that you submit two email addresses for your ND recommenders. These must be "nd.edu" email addresses. URApply will send instructions to your recommenders after you have submitted your application, allowing them to upload a letter to your application. Please Note: recommenders will not receive an email link with submission instructions until after you officially submit your application. We can accept letters up until February 23, 2020 at 11:59pm. Letter-writers who wish to submit their letters early may do so by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "Recommendation Letter for [Applicant's Name]."
- Applicants must also upload a PDF copy of their current resume.
Interviews will be conducted by the Admissions Committee, comprised of members of the CUSE team and current Sorin Scholars the week of April 6, 2020. For more information about our program or the application process, please send inquiries to email@example.com.