Eagan Summer Fellowship
2023 Eagan Summer Fellowship
Call for Proposals
The Flatley Center for Undergraduate Scholarly Engagement (CUSE) is happy to announce the Eagan Summer Fellowship to support three Notre Dame undergraduates in an intellectually-enriching summer experience. The activity must be 8-10 weeks in length, academically-grounded, and may include: independent research, an internship or research assistantship, service-learning, a study abroad program, or language study. The ideal candidates for this fellowship are first-generation college students, and all applicants must demonstrate financial need. The $5,000 award will cover direct expenses related to the work as well as provide a stipend for the 8-10 week experience. CUSE hopes that this opportunity will serve as a springboard for future intellectual engagement.
Eligibility and Selection
CUSE welcomes Eagan Summer Fellowship applications from current Notre Dame freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, of all colleges and disciplines, who are enrolled full-time at the University of Notre Dame. Candidates must demonstrate academic potential and articulate how the proposed experience will enhance both their undergraduate experience and their future goals. For consideration, submit a proposal that meets the criteria below.
Proposals must be 4-5 pages (double-spaced) in length and include:
The following information:
- NDID Number:
- ND email:
- Year in School (Class of 20XX):
- A detailed description of the experience to be undertaken. If the experience is research-based, include a discussion of the intellectual issues that you will explore and a bibliography of scholarly sources that grounds the experience in your academic major or coursework.
- A discussion of the impact of the experience on your academic goals and future trajectory.
- A statement of financial need.
- A detailed budget for living expenses during the experience (rent, food, transportation, etc.).
- A letter of recommendation from a Notre Dame faculty member who can speak to your strengths and potential and who will serve as an intellectual mentor for the project or experience.
Proposals must be submitted to CUSE via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 23, 2023. The Letter of Recommendation must be submitted by March 26, 2023. Questions regarding this experience may be directed to the Undergraduate Research team at CUSE at email@example.com.
We encourage students to meet with the CUSE team to discuss opportunities and for assistance with preparing their proposals. Recipients will work with the CUSE office to meet all requirements necessary for international and domestic travel, financial disbursement, and Institutional Review Board approvals for Human Subject Research (if applicable). Make an appointment with a CUSE staff member at cuse.nd.edu/appt.